Taking something old and turning it into a beautiful new object is undeniably satisfying. If you are looking for new home décor on a budget, then try this unique take on a hanging rack. This upcycling idea turns long forgotten forks and spoons into a beautiful, yet practical focal point for any home.
For this project you will need:
- A micro fibre cloth
- Electric drill
- Goggles and protective gloves
- A sturdy mounting hook
- Sturdy wire cutters
- Pretty metal forks and spoons
- A wooden plank with a beautiful grain or finish
- A tea towel
- To start, we need to get the cutlery looking sparkly, apply a drop of cleaning product to a damp micro fibre cloth and wipe over each item of cutlery thoroughly. Rinse and dry with a tea towel.
- Here comes the tricky part. Slowly bend the ends of the cutlery upwards, into a hook shape. To make it slightly easier, try heating the cutlery before bending.
- Now time to put on your gloves and protective goggles. Mark corresponding points on each piece of cutlery and drill holes, making sure to protect any surfaces.
- Using the screwdriver, screw each fork and spoon onto your board, making sure space in between each one is even.
- Lastly, fix a mounting cook to the centre of the back of the board so you can hang your new rack up.